Monday, March 24, 2008

Stop the Maddness...

Remember in Highschool, when the big fad was to eat a ton of carbs but no fats. I distinctly remember the weight lifting teacher at KJH, Mrs. Pipes teaching us about fat grams, and calories and how we need to be in control of our bodies. Anyways, I remember eating 2 bagles, a bag of pretzels, and baked potatoes because they were low in fat. Hmmm.

Today I subbed at Skyline. I did my student teaching there about 3 years ago. I like to go back because I adored one of the teachers there, and I still like talking to him about books we are reading and politics. Anyways, when I got there the office worker asked me if I would take over a PE class on my prep. Me being ever the happy worker bee (LOL) said, "oh course I will".

It was sort of a trip being back in the weight lifting room. The teacher had left a routine of lunges, squats, ab-work etc. After giving the class over to a student helper, I got bored. I started doing some squats myself. The thing is about every girl in that class found fault in my technique. "Put you butt out", "go lower, like you're pooping", "push your boobs out, put your shoulders back", all of this advise was mixed with giggles and whispers. And yet, I feel like they appriciated my effort. I even found myself saying things like, "girls take care of your bodies, you don't want to have the struggles of old ladies like me", they all nodded in agreement.

I wonder if these girls squeeze that fat out of every french fry, or dab their pizza with a napkin until all traces of oil are gone... because that is what we learned in weight training, surely not to stick your booty out with the squats. I guess weight training has come a long way. I think that is good.

1 comment:

Jaime S. said...

the struggles of an old lady makes me laugh. thank you for good blogs!

Stats