Tuesday, March 11, 2008

Blond on the Beach aka Once Bitten, Twice Shy.

Today has been rough. I somehow hit a wall at chillis. And the wall i hit was me getting scheduled during the spring break. I got to the book to late, and others had asked for the time off. So I am going to miss the Goodman/Rocky Pointe Adventure. I want to relive some of these adventures with you...just so you can know how important Rocky Pointe aka Puerto Penasco Mexico has been in my life.

BLOND ON THE BEACH... You know those woman who sabatoge everything good and amazing in their lives. I have a way of doing that. I was 19. It was my first year of college. I was at Ricks. My family had decided to go to Rocky Pointe for the first time ever. I had heard about Rocky Pointe from sooo many people. It was where the cool families and cool kids (whose moms let them go with other families) went for Spring Break. I was not going to miss this for the world. I had an obstacle standing in my way. My job at the plasma center. And wouldn't you know it, I asked for the time off. Yet, others with greater foresight than I, had already asked for it off. So I got denied. Yet, those who knew me back then, know that a little thing such as "the best job a student could have in Rexburg aka an employee at the plasma center" would not stand in my way of being at Rocky Pointe for Spring Break. I packed my things, got a flight and headed out. had Starr call me in sick. She was annoyed at her task and claimed I had Bochalism. In addition to just being in Mexico, I also decided I wanted to be "Blond on the Beach". I used this phrase often, sliding it into conversations whenever I could. Like, "what are you doing for Spring Break Jodi", I would respond, "I'm going to be blond on the beach".

Now for some reason, I didn't know about high lights. I had watched my mom dye her hair with Nice and Easy. I had died my hair bright red, dark brown, emo black... and somehow I missed the memo that lightening hair, aka making it "blond on the beach" is another process. To make a long story short I just mixed up the solution and saturated my whole head of hair with it (Starr did it actually). My roots, or the area closest to my head (where the heat of one's scalp activates the bleach) was white and the other areas were a streaky blond/orange/tangerine mess. I didn't know about toner, so I just proceeded as/is. Yikes. However, I played it cool. I was going to be blond on the beach(albeit, sort of a Tangerine/white on the scalpie blond) My mom was mortified when they picked me up at the airport with my 7-toned, moppy hair. When she said, "jod, what did you do?", My response was not as chipper and sort of faded into mummbles, "i wanted to be blond on the beach".

CARDON COME BACK AND LOVE ME AGAIN....

We went to Denver to meet my boyfriends family. Towards the end of the trip, we both pretty much knew it was over, but I have a habit of when the love is dying, and things look bleak, and theres really no chance in hell that I belong with this man, and we both are starting to despise the other for the reasons people begin to despise the other (one loves too much and the other loves too little, and nothing makes people hate each other more, than staying in something so unequally balanced, once that divide is apparent). What I like to do at this point, is to drag it out and hold on tighter, to try harder and attempt to ignite any smoking ashes that are left after the blaze of a love affair had grown cold.

This had all transpired. We had our final "talk" and I was cool with it. My friends were leaving to Rocky Pointe in the morning, I thought, "just the ticket to get me over this kid, i'll be in the sun, i'll eat fish taco's, I will burn my skin and talk broken Spanish, this is what I need". To make a long story short. I should never, never, ever be on the road when the little heart been recently demolished. Just shouldn't. I cried on the beach, I had water works going strong at Flavio's (the taco joint). I mourned the loss of my beloved as Mexican's tried to sell me a piece of rice with my name on it. I thought, "what if I put Cardon's name on it, and give it to him or maybe a grain of rice that says 'J+C= love,' maybe that would be the ticket, to winning his heart. I broke out in tears that night as fireworks were ablaze, thinking, "Cardon would really enjoy these fireworks, i wish he were here". Rocky Pointe couldn't heal my heart, but those fish taco's and orange soda eased the pain just a bit.

Today...I am not quitting Chilli's to go to Rocky Pointe (but I thought about it), nor am I dying my hair a lighter pigment. I have so many more stories about the adventures there. Those are for another day. Rocky Pointe, is where friendships and loves had been made and lost. It is where I slept in a slip for an RV while suffering because my skin was crsispy, blistered and raw (on day 1, four more to go). Oh tribute to you Puerto Penasco.... you are like our sister city. We love you.

10 comments:

{Erica} said...

LOVED this post! Loved how it was written and enoyed the scenes it made in my mind! Too bad you have to work over "the break"...totally sucks! I have many a story that won't be shared with my girls until they're older or ask :)

I laughed when you said your day is nothing like mine....no really?!! I'm sure my day pales in comparison to yours and sounds quite boring...:)

Mary Postert said...

Loved this post Jodi. To ease the pain of working during spring break, maybe Tanner and I will come in to Chilli's. What nights are you working?

Jenny said...

I'm totally lame, but remember when we were going to RP and had the "planning meeting" and we asked Blake if he had a tarp and he said yes. Then we showed up to RP and unpacked and he didn't have it with him and he said "you just asked if I had one, not if I'd bring it!". And no one brought food, all we had were those damn frosted mini wheats, but nothing to eat them with so we all just had to reach into the bag and pull out handfuls! And we got crazy sunburned, because we had no tent, and no tarp! And the worst...you refused to ride in any other car but mine, so You, me, and Kyle had to squeeze into his two seater small truck with no A/C and you made us listen to Prince the entire way!! Best RP trip ever!

Jill said...

Amen.

Ode to Rocky Point.

Debbie said...

Jody, don't feel bad, at least you have been there and had many memories!! I on the other hand have never been there and probably fit quite nicely in to the "nerds who have never been to RP" category!! And now with our new calling I doubt I will ever get there! oh well, at least we can hang out at the temple on Tuesdays and Wednesdays!!!!

Anonymous said...

hi jody,
yes, i am a little bit of a blog stalker and i have came across yours before, well last night i was at a reception and saw you and thought i would say hi, so hi. and i dont know where or when but i think we might have met. i whole-heartedly agree about mexico, and the cool kids who go to go, my mom was the mom that made me stay. {probably a good thing, do you think?} i love that place. also agree about the hair dye, i think every girl had to learn their lesson once with a box of dye.
so,
here is kate's novel to say hi.

Anonymous said...

oh and,
flavio's is boss. we are in good there cause flavio's son was in love with my cousin, true story, he carved her a dolphin out of wood.

Anonymous said...

last comment i promise.
carden? i met you at cardens house like 1 year ago. halloween night with samson.
ha. i knew i knew you.

Jaime S. said...

We'll always have R.P. Remember the time we took a girl for Charity and we were annoyed that she got action on the beach. I still have a picture of you stopping to pee on the side of the road on our way home. I feel in love at R.P. and that was a surprise. Life is funny.

Aimee's Family Journal said...

Jodi! I am so happy to have found your blog. I love your stories. you have always been so real, and so nice to be around. I just love you! I am so happy that you blog. you sound like you are still living life! And making it full of great things! I just watned to say hello!!

Love, Aimee (Cutright)

Stats