Thursday, November 29, 2007

Our MTC boyfriends....

All of a sudden all of these women in their late twenties are going on missions. Maybe they see what is lacking in the single scene and just don't want to deal with it for 18 months. Maybe they are just thinking, it's not too late, "Maybe i didn't miss the mission boat". In the last week, two woman who I never in a million years would suspect a desire for full-time service from, have decided to go. So good for them right? I definitely think the mission could be better with a more mature outlook, or maybe not. I don't know if you returnees are like me, reliving my mission life, especially my MTC time, is just not something I do on a regular basis. Tonight was different...

In the MTC, i met an amazing cast of people. My district, my branch, my comp...yeah,yeah yeah. Also I already had a few connections. My brother was already there. One of my best friends of all time, Nathan Coffee entered the same day that I did (which was sooooo awesome). My best fhe brother, who was as cute as a button, was there. My cousin Gary, who was a cowboy was there. All these little local Rexburg boys from summer school were there. All my brother's friends were there. Yet the most unexpected meetings were with my MTC boyfriends, Clearly defined as the men i met in the MTC, who under other circumstances i would have been attracted to, but because I locked my heart I could only be friends with them, and maybe we would hint at becoming an eternal family later on (come on I was 21).

Kasper is one of my favorite people. Well known as Hermana Kasper back in 1999. We spoke on the phone today and relived the best 8 weeks of our lives, the MTC. Kasper's MTC boyfriend was hot. Vance. She says, "we would not hold hands, but we would give extra long high fives... (essential physical contact, when physical contact was not allowed). She also says, he might swat or pat my hair, only for a second...just playfully when no one was looking (intense).

My MTC boyfriends were not so clued into the subtle physical contact of MTC relationships, and honestly, I don't think I was ready for that level of commitment (that the extra long high five entailed). We spoke more in terms of planning for the future, when we would be seeing each other after the mission. Yet we too had our ways of developing relationships of trust... our secret meeting spots. 'Meet me in "Country Home"(the name I lovingly gave to the middle cafeteria)by the popcicle cooler before the fireside", or "what time are you guys going to do a session, let's walk there together" (oh we were sneaky and intense). My favorite was th exchanging of the address. These men were going to write me every week, seeing me through the 18 months, then when they returned 6 months after me, we would reunite...we promised.

I gotta admit, I loved the wholesomeness of flirting in the mtc. I loved the fact that if you didn't have someone special to write you before you left, (or you were just greedy and wanted more letters/attention/spiritual motivation) the MTC was a last shot chance, to make that happen. Plus the guy girl ratio was awesome...go figure. Another bonus was at 185 pounds (I went in at a hefty 165 and gained 20 from country home's goodnes) I was still making spiritual connections and intense eye contact, you know I loved it. MTC boyfriends (you probably have 4 kids now and have no idea who i am) I will always miss seeing you at choir, maybe sitting next to you in the cafeteria, lingering by the scripture section in the bookstore together and the moments we cherished in the call center.

4 comments:

Nathan said...

wtf girlie... you wrote:
"My brother was already there. My best fhe brother, who was as cute as a button, was there. My cousin Gary, who was a cowboy was there. All these little local Rexburg boys from summer school were there. All my brothers friends were there..."

NO WHERE in there do you mention me!!! I do NOT fit into your summer school buddies since I didn't go to summer school with you. You'd better add me in there stat!!!!!

Jodiane said...

done, and done... i love you nathan. sorry. After all, i was the hermana de tu corazon numero Uno...and that means alot.

Jaime S. said...

jodi,
who is going on missions? i was in the mtc with my cuz chuck and all my e.a. friends like bood and scotty chamby. i also had a mtc boyfriend. he was a foot shorter than me but we cracked eachother up. we wrote to each other the whole mission and then had one akward conversation on the phone when he returned 6 months after me. still love him.

Jenny said...

Oh sweet MTC romances, I too remember you vividly. The long glances, the extreme compliments on my not very good French, and the endless choruses of young elders saying "Sister Pear, I wish I was serving your mission with you, that would be amazing!" Yes, someone actually said that, and it still makes me smile. Even better than the MTC romances..."MC" Mission Crush, I even wrote a song about mine, and had an official "Let go Low Day" when Elder Low left the mission. That's enough from me!

Stats