Thursday, November 15, 2007

The Graveyard...cause everyone got a dream that died.

Oh Thursday Night... the usual staples are in full effect. A drive home from work, a stop at Oasis East (my dad's new insurance company) and a little mental prep. for the institute. And when I arrive (not to class mind you, but to the social part after) the prep. has been well worth it.

I park the Element in it's usual location. I let the techno song play out it's finale. I put on some lip moisturizer (one's thirty year old lips, need to look sufficiently moisturized, at this the most important social event of the week). I take a second look at my bright yellow rose earings, (I will later decide to put them in my pocket but at this moment they are a go).

I walk slowly and confidently towards the chapel, I have nothing to fear, this is my commune, these are my people. The thick aroma of canned corn overwhelms my nostrils, canned corn and something else.....wait, YES! Funeral potato's . Class is not out yet so the line is short. I quickly load my plate with 3 different varieties of Funeral Potato's, deliberately passing by the ham and corn.

Finding my way to the stage, it takes two tries to hoist my booty up. Finally I make it. Now I am comfortable, and am in prime position for all that "needs to happen". I am in full view of 3 of the 4 entrances. I can definitely see what is going on at the other side of the room. Others can see me. However, I am in a power position, where snap judgements can be made. These skills make me more efficient, and at the tute, time management is a plus. Also, if I was into anyone, I could definitely stalk them, (but i'm not).

Why am I so good at this you might ask. Is my knowledge and prowless at the tute, only a facade? Nay my friends, the secret is two fold. Part 1 is Habit. Steven Covey talks about developing it and sharpening the saw. Well my post-institute socializing saw is way sharp. Part 2... Survival of the Fittest. It is a law in nature. If I wasn't soooo good at what I do at institute, I could not have lasted sooo long.

Wait...maybe i am too effective, too comfortable, and too set in my ways. Maybe next time I will mix it up, I am going to hang out by the water and punch bowls. My life just keeps getting more exciting...I'll let you know how the punch bowl strategy fares.

3 comments:

Mary Postert said...

Glad you came by afterward to watch The Office (and that other show which must not be named) with us.

Jaime S. said...

i want to go to the institute one last time. these stories are still a big part of me.

Jill said...

That was a good read! Brougt me back...

Stats