Friday, November 16, 2007

Ethics....

Today i googled "teacher ethics". There was a lot to be said. I wanted to make sure I was truly being ethical in the classroom. I think with eighth graders, just not killing them sort of makes you an ethical being. The site said, if you become a better human being, you will become a better teacher. Also, that negativity will make a much bigger impression on the youth, that would it on adults. I learned that I should not be presenting or discussing social issues that are radical. Anyways, I just think that is interesting, because for their reports they had to choose a social issue. The principal wanted nothing to be "radical". I obviously set some parameters to stay in the boundaries, yet left a lot open for them to choose from. It is pretty awesome to see 30 computers all displaying different social issues, and kids to be learning something new about their world. Today one of my students stumbled across some footage of cows and chickens being raised and then slaughtered. We got into a short, private discussion where he said, "it is wrong that there is so much other food for people to eat, yet we can't stop eating meat, and these animals are dying just so we can enjoy a hamburger". Hmmm, couldn't have said it better myself. I guess that is what everyone says after the cow/chicken slaughter movie. Yet, I hope that their minds will hold onto the feeling of discovering something new. Maybe there minds will change a bit, maybe... I can still be an idealist about teaching like I used to be. Maybe.

1 comment:

Jenny said...

Jodi, I just a read a lot of your Blog and I love it! It made me really miss you! I could see the Tute situation vividly, and your description of the power position was classic Jodi. Plus, loved the Yeasty Root Beer story, and Van has always been awesome!

Stats