Monday, April 7, 2008

Tis a Conference Miracle.



"Jodi, are you going to Utah for Conference, cause I am", Willy (my 21 year old brother, The kid who took the Moroni Challenge at 17 because he wasn't gonna live the gospel if he didn't know it was true, the return missionary who returned from the Brazil Menaus mission aka Amazon River, the Valedictorian of our very competitive high school, the kid who wasn't built like a cross country God, but made us all proud, and most importantly he's cool and intense and quick to anger(but has come a long way), who say's "what's up beautiful" when ever I walk into my parent's house) asked about 2 months ago. "Well if it's cheap I'll go" I responded. Sure enough the Southwest Ding fare special that I installed awhile ago, came through. 3 minutes later and 137 dollars poorer, I was on my way to Salt Lake City. And as in most holidays, I am doing it spontaneously, meaning with out plan.

Well actually I did have a plan, I had a few LDS Linkup (that's the free site) Mens who I made very, loose, tentative plans to see. I had cousins in West Jordan (we all got cousins in West Jordan), my MTC companion had recently, after 8+ years in Boston, returned to her homeland and was living in down town SLC. My good pal Sommer was there in Lehi. Lori my Ricks College "randomest friend ever" was there in P-town....I had options. And if there is one thing you need to know about me, I love options. Ok here is a breakdown of my weekend. I think it is sort of funny, so enjoy.

Friday. After staying up too late, I awake at 4:30 am. Tis time to catch my plane. I sleep all the way to SLC. Cousin Whitt, picks me up. We eat Carl's Jr. at 9 am because all I want is a Western Burger. I sleep in her basement for 5 hours while she is a Nanny to 2 blond rich kids. We visit Jamie's house, she is gone on date night. My cousin Tyson is babysitting. Chase poops his pants, he offers Whitt money to change the diaper. I show Tyson my boxing moves, he laughs and says, "at least it is good exercise". Carrie comes and picks me up.

We head to her mission reunion (not mine, I was EL Salvador, she was Guate). It is boring. We go to a house party. Where this guy I recognize immediately is playing the piano and singing music he wrote. I know this man from Lazona Ward 2002. He is the guy who Eloped and then sent out invitations after for a celebration. Sorry kid, you elope, no presents (it's the rules). I remember the invitation to the "we eloped but please give us a present party". They are sitting on a piano. Oh how life goes full circle. Speaking of full circle.

My ex boyfriend, the one who made me stop using the word soulmates (how could I use such a word if our love could never be, soul mates are a lie -voice of 25 year old jodi) shows up, intruding on a conversation I am having with a BYU Law Student named Joel, he was on the BYU wait list too. My ex is just as I remember him, well we hang out whenever we are in the same city, since he has been divorced it has been 4x (that we have hung out, not that he's been divorced). I love him so much, as a friend. And now, Garth Brooks words stream into my head, "Sometimes I thank God for unanswered prayers", I am so glad we didn't work out, we have morphed into a 'brother/sister' vibe... oh life your funny.

We leave the party. Leaving said ex, to continue his pilgrimages to the kitchen where the chips, oreos and pizza are plentiful (he's a freegan, aka living life as cheap as possible). We head over to where the above mentioned law student lives. Carrie is convinced he is into me (he showed signs of sadness when our conversation was interrupted by ex-boyfriend). I am not against someday being half of a Law defending/money making power couple. We sit on opposite sides of the room, as we watch TV. The Universe decides we would be just too powerful.

Saturday. Gretchen shows up, off we go to the Conference Center. We don't have tickets, she suggests approaching random people and asking them for tickets. We spread out, Gretchen and Carrie are asking the multitude, "do you have an extra ticket?" I simply stand alone and raise one finger up, sure enough a middle age man, gives me a ticket in the Plaza, not the balcony, not the terrace but the plaza. Conference is awesome. I see my pal Summer in the stair well after conference. I've missed her, but she is making her Mormon Dreams come true in Lehi.

I eat at a German Deli, I eat at a lame frozen soy yogurt joint called Spoon Me, I went to a comedy club, called, Wise Guys and laughed a lot. I upset one of my 'tentative lds linkup boyfriends'. He was angry because I ditched him and he wanted me to tell him face to face, that I didn't want to see him. I sent him a text. I am American after all. He called me a dork and said, 'you are missing out' and other cliches. Tis the internet, and the hearts if facilitates breaking... HATE IT OR LOVE IT.


Sunday. Conference again (Gretchen got us great seats this time, and I didn't have to hold up one finger outside the conference center) minimal sleeping, maximum spiritual inspiration. Willy sends me a text, he has tickets to the PM session. Up to Carrie's super close house for peanut butter and jelly then back for session #3. Pretty good for showing up with no tickets. Carrie has cooked an amazing Indian Food dinner. She has a small dinner party, and it is one of those moments that, I feel like a grown up and I like it. We watch Mean Girls and laugh. But I gotta sleep 4 thirty rise time.

Monday. A little teeth brushing, a little hot water to warm my insides and I am out the door. The drive is short and I realize my flight is not at 6 but at 6 forty. We could have slept for 4o more minutes. It is cool though. As I am walking through the airport I randomly run into a woman who inadvertently impacted my life immensely, simply from the advice she gave a mutual friend over a year ago. It was way cool to actually meet a person whose blogs I read religiously. It always amazes me how small the world (or at least the mormon world is). I know about 10 people on my flight. I sleep, I drink cranberry juice, I find a Glamour and I sleep some more.

That was the Vacation, Obviously it was a bit wordy of a post. But it was such a great weekend, i was sort of writing it for my records. If you read it you are a trooper, if you just enjoyed the hot pics, that is cool too. LOL. Thanks Willy for getting me to General Conference, I needed it.

7 comments:

Teddy-n-Mai's mom said...

That's interesting that you served a mission in El Salvador. I was born there (in Sonsonate). But we moved to the US back in 1981.

Mary Postert said...

Loved it Jodi, as usual.

Aimee's Family Journal said...

Jodi! You are sooooo funny! I love the text-off. You shouldn't have to have a conversation, to tell a guy that he isn't the one! I am glad you got away. I have only been to conference once, and I need to go again sometime!

{Erica} said...

sounds like a great weekend. Conference was awesome.

Jenny said...

I so remember "elopement guy". I saw him in Utah last time I was there too, at the airport! We had a deep conversation while I waited for my flight. Small world.
Sounds like you had a great time. looking forward to seeing you on your "fact finding tour" of the east.

Casey and Whitney MCkell said...

jodie you are my fave!!

Jamie said...

I still can't believe I missed ya. Next time we must spend some serious quality time with one another.

Stats