Sunday, April 27, 2008

Packing it Up, Painting an Old Barn.





I refuse to count how many times I have moved. I think that is just the world we live in, people are traveling lighter, and moving about the country, or world. With just about everything in my life, I underestimate how much time it will take to get a job done. I seriously thought it would take maybe 4 hours to pack up my house, clean the dang thing, get it all touched up and the handy work done with enough time to spare to go to take Brendan (my friend and handy man) to dinner, all on Friday. Needless to say, I grossly underestimated the work that needed to be done, (how much crap I have, how flawed the condo was etc. )

Brendan was a champ. He is a perfectionist, so he kept seeing new projects. I would hear him say, "jodi if I had more time, there is just so much I could do to this place", or "we could just re-paint the whole thing, if you want". But ultimately, I don't have the time. One girl (the one moving into the master) moved in last night. And I finally got a renter for the third room yesterday, who will move in today. What a relief to know that if all goes according to plan (aka everyone pays their rent) I can pay both my mortgage and hoa. Honestly, it is such a blessing.

Cleaning up my stuff is always interesting. I got rid of soo much crap last year about this time when I was getting ready to move to Reno. I am talking hordes of my hippy, thrift store stash, it was very emotional last year to part with everything. However this time the purge was less, including LSAT prep books, magazines, clothes and shoes all found a new home at the Desert Industries. I had a massive Aloe Vera Plant Garden that will be hard to leave. All in all, it's good to be forced to purge. Otherwise we carry around too much baggage (another profound metaphor for life).

I will miss living in my condo. I love it there.

3 comments:

Debbie said...

Ok, so life has been a little hectic lately and I haven't been blogging so I'm a little out of the loop (and I did have to miss Rita's shower due to my temple service) but I think I heard through the grapevine (J. Ballard) that you are heading off to Oregon! Is that true??? What's the timetable?

Jenny said...

Umm, I'm totally confused. Where are you moving? It's not time to go to school yet, is it?
Rita looks cute, but really needs to have that baby. I don't remember when she wasn't pregnant. I gots to have been at least a year since she's been expecting!
Call me
201-721-6135 I lost my cell phone, that's my home. Don't give it out to solicitors!

Dan said...

Good thing there isn't much room in a dry cabin for excess baggage. You'll never miss your condo more. :)

Stats