Friday, May 29, 2009

SERVICE??

Lets be honest. I don't like doing Service for other people...well it has to be on my terms and it has to be in small doses. Anyways, I sort of feel like being a Jr. High English Teacher for 3 years (lets just throw student teaching and subbing in there) sort of exempts me from having to serve anymore. Plus I served a mission which is basically served for 1.4 years of my life. Thats good enough, for at least 20 years or so...right?

So when the missionaries called, and said they wanted me to come with them to teach a discussion, i thought, "shoot, service...alright i can do that i guess." Anyways, the lesson went well. I taught again (it's been 10 years since i did any direct missionary work- we all want to think our righteous living examples are sufficient). After the lesson the sisters, asked me if I wanted them to help me pack up. I hadn't thought of asking them, or anyone (except Chase and Chip to help move the big stuff). So I guess they are coming over to help. I didn't expect help....but i will take it. 

Then later today, i was going to the Friday Night Activity... and everyone was driving away, I found out they were going to help a ward member move. I thought "alright...I guess i can give about 20 min. of my time, after all i was tired from working out, and if Louis is there, then i can appear to be all about service". However, showing off my "good service oriented heart" turned out to be a bigger sacrifice than I was hoping for. When we got there, none of this girls stuff was in boxes. Basically for 2 hours she had 12 Ward Members spending their Friday Nights putting her clothes in boxes, her dried flowers in boxes, her cherrios, toasters, bubbles, magnants, christmas lights in boxes. It wasn't that i was bugged, that she had really done nothing to start the move herself... I guess this is the third time she has done this, I was just surprised at everyone's willingness to help. I got tired after helping for 1 hour and drank water outside.

As I am beginning the big move to my new apartment, (its so awesome but hopefully has enough room for the DJ stuff, and kayak stuff and all my clothes and Law books). I am hoping to get a little help just with the big stuff I can't handle, and i suppose once you get help you gotta keep helping others. Shoot. 

No comments:

Stats