Saturday, August 30, 2008

Technology- A tribute.

This is the picture i took a year or so ago, on my mac for my one and only internet boyfriend. It doesn't even look like me.... sadly that is what he thought after meeting me in real life. LOL. 


Oh Technology. I am overwhelmed in a good way. I get to play facebook poker with old friends when i have nothing to do on my first weekend in Moscow(after the homework is done). I have people I haven't heard from in 10 years finding me via blog, and saying hello. I am having short conversations via facebook with chat with everyone from friends from the Single's Wards, to boys I liked in Jr. High, friends from Alaska, my mission, Ricks College, Teacher Pals, kids I ran CC with, etc. It really is a beautiful thing. 

Sometimes I have to remind myself we were not always so lucky to have such easy access to those we love, or may want to love someday (always gotta leave that door open). I love that I could be in some off the grid place in the middle of Alaska and if there was a break in the mountains I might just have service. I love that I can call anyone I love, at anytime and if they are not too busy or screening me, we can catch up. 

As we were going separate ways in SLC, my aunt (i had been carivanning with her and her family) gave me her Magellan GPS (not for keeps, but for awhile). Now I could navigate anywhere. It was such a huge help at getting me to Moscow. 

My best friend Paul and I were so excited about Napster, we would spend hours downloading free music. I remember how I used to donate plasma twice a week in Rexburg so that I could take that money and (after I had boughten Chinese food at Fong's for 4 dollars) go to Idaho Falls to buy 2 used CD's. I spent 2/3 of my plasma monies on music. Then in 2000 it just came alive to me. Music was free, we were all free, the world had never looked brighter. All of a sudden all those boot-leg PearJam downloads we had spent tons of money on, were now FREE. It simply blew our minds. Paul had a huge collection (Paul when i drive home for Christmas I am stopping in Twin to get some of that sweet music, i know you still must have) of Techno, Depeche Mode, and anything else that was Kick ASs. 

BLOGGING. Now it might be a fad, it might be a new way of life. But I like it. And I think just as I shouldn't be comparing my nose, or my chest size or my love life (or lack of sometimes) to what other woman have, I should not compare my blog either. It is what it is. Take it or leave it, read it or block it, comment or just shy away like you were never there. But my site meter shows me that I have a few readers daily... so if you don't give up on me, I won't give up on blogging about my never ending single hood, about the adventures I claim help me make my dreams come true, and I will keep out all the stuff I really want to say, but won't because I just might want to be a Politician or Judge someday. It could happen. 

Blog ON. 


4 comments:

{Erica} said...

1. what is facebook poker?
2. you are right, technology is overwhelming, time consuming, and super rad.
3.I feel the same way about blogging. I dig it. I dig that I can communicate to family and friends what is going on. I dig that people like to read what I write (although I have NO clue as to why). I dislike that fact however, that many people out there seem to make themselves sick comparing themselves and their lives to those who's blogs they read....I don't get it. We all know that you're not going to put on your blog the details of a huge blow up you had with your significant other (although I have and then deleted promptly - you can forgive and forget cause you love him, others that read...well they might hold a grudge and that wouldn't be cool). To me, blogs are ways to see that others out there are like you, or aren't like you. They are intriguing, fun, inspiring and a way to make new friends and keep in touch with old ones.

*stepping off the box*

4.Seriously proud of you making your way through Law school. :)

Jill said...

Dude, here's my two cents on blogs. I'm torn as to whether people should put on their happy faces or be totally honest. So my kids SUCK at sleeping right now and they make me really grumpy a lot of the time and I told Brad to take Cohen to the rez and drop him off yesterday. Is that what I should write on my blog for all the world, and maybe Cohen someday, to read? OR should I suck it up and just post cute pictures of the rotten monkeys? You know? It's like when people ask you, "How are you?" Do you say "Fine."? Or do you go into the details of your sleepless nights of worry and the pain in your right shin and the fight you had with whoever earlier that day?

I try to keep it real but I also dont want my blog to be all negative, complaining either.

I'm torn.

Sommer said...

Love you Jodi!

Jamie said...

Blog on indeed! Love it.

Stats