Tuesday, September 2, 2008

Day of Fun/Day of Agony...

What are 4 things you don't want to talk about, no I take that back.... listen to. Well I will tell you my top 4, ready as I set the stage.

The first thing I don't want to listen to, is two people discussing the ward members of a small town. I will say a combined total of 2.2 hours was spent of things like, "what is Jimmy Craiger up to? Is his daughter still smoking pot with the hockey team"? or "Old Man Bronson, did he ever get that matter with the tractors fixed, or did the Miller's get the best of him", how bout a little, "Margo Stevens, oh man she made the best fried chicken, maybe not the best in my whole mission, but definitely the best in eastern Spokane, wait Marie Taylor, now she could cook, the missionaries used to go crazy, if Marrie signed up, and her garden man it would grow some crazy corn on the cobs"... You think I am kidding. But alas, this type of conversations were mixed with Hunting Talk.

I don't get hunting. I don't get why killing things for sport is awesome. I don't get why you could just see something and want to shoot it. I mean sometimes when I was younger I used to see a hot guy and want to make out with him, but that is as far as my animal insticts took me. Hunting boggles my mind. I know it is sort of the cave man instict that has carried over, and that is fine, and I am not really judgemental, it's just 1.9 hours were spent talking about hunting. Hunting deer, moose, elk, etc.

Now I know better than everyone else that obsessiveness runs deep. I have been obsessed with my body (wanted it to be little, thats all), I have been obsessed with my singleness (wanted, still do a guarentee, that he will be cool and my fertility will still be intact when he shows up), my future (notebooks filled with 'plans'). I get it people, we are all obsessed with something, and yet I had to listen to someone elses obsessiveness creep into every conversation. This was a big kid mind you, 320 but solid and tall and not unattractive (when we met at church my mind did the questioning it always does when i meet someone new...."well jo (what i call myself) he is not your type at all, and yet there is a bit of possibility there, he is wearing cowboy boots, is that good or bad, wait, how old do you think he is, and oh yeah not your type at all, remeber you want someone who will go running with you, and this kid doesn't look like he likes to run. But he does have a cute gap tooth smile, and remember how we are trying to think outside the box, and not go with our insticts anymore, because all our insticts lead us to were the wrong men, so maybe we should start wanting what sort of isn't what we want, maybe?" Ok back to big kid, he talked about being bigger than everyone else all day long, and the big talk would get worked into the mission and hunting conversations, like "That guy the bishop's daughter in 3rd ward was dating, did he get bigger, because I was twice his size Jr. Year, but he was playing Lineback.... or "Yeah, I am the biggest guy from my hometown, the colleges recruited me, but I lost interest".

The last thing I had to listen to was non-stop country. Now i love me some country but non-stop please.

Besides the four things I didn't enjoy listening to, Hunting, Mission talk, Country Music, and talk about being big, I did catch 2 fishes and I was greatful to my Idaho cliche for taking me out with him and his friends for an adventure. I was also grateful to go pick a bunch of huckleberries and I was grateful that there are different types of people in the world.

3 comments:

M said...

Jodi Said:
I don't get hunting. I don't get why killing things for sport is awesome. I don't get why you could just see something and want to shoot it. I mean sometimes when I was younger I used to see a hot guy and want to make out with him, but that is as far as my animal insticts took me. Hunting boggles my mind. I know it is sort of the cave man instict that has carried over, and that is fine, and I am not really judgemental, it's just 1.9 hours were spent talking about hunting. Hunting deer, moose, elk, etc.

Mike: I totally agree with you on hunting. I served my mission in Idaho and people were big into hunting everywhere. I think It is wrong to hunt as in a sport. I also see it wrong as someone pulling over to the side of the road to see a elk and then get their gun out and shoot it. Hunters Suck especially the ones who take hunting wrong and use it as a way of having fun and not providing food for them.

Mary Postert said...

Although I do feel sorry for you that you had the kind of coversations that you did, but wasn't picking huckleberries worth it all?

Jenny said...

Was this a date?

I read your blog about technology...I think you were pretty much right on. It's only a matter of time before the facebook affairs start up. Now, if people would talk about the affairs on their blogs I wouldn't mind so much, cause that's intresting stuff, but honestly, I'm so sick of seeing pictures of people's kids, and all the lame things people do! But, maybe people feel that way about my blog too, so who knows. I do occassionaly post a pic of my child, but that's just to show that I'm not completley self absorbed and that I do love my child, in case people think I don't, since I don't talk about her alot. I gotta look good in front of the other mormon moms you know.

Stats