Saturday, September 6, 2008

phill collins againts all odds

When I was 11 all my pre-teen dreams came true. I got a clock radio. Anyways, it was sweet. The best part was the radio station that played adult contemporary. The day jams were sweet. But when the sun went down, things really heated up. Adults would make dedications to their lovers. I couldn't wait till i had a lover to dedicate sweet 'slow dancing' songs to. Songs that my 11 year mind thought were the best were "Making Love out of Nothing at All" by Air Supply (the best love ballad of all time), "Hello" by Lionel Richie (Ruffus and I just called him L.R.), "Lady" by Kenny Rogers, "Total Eclipse of the Heart" by Bonnie Tyler and "Islands in the Stream" a duet by Kenny and Dolly. Those are just a few of the great ones that turned this gal into a sappy and idealistic romantic.

I recently realized I need to buy a clock radio, the cell phone just doesn't give me the assurance that I get from a clock radio. There is something comforting about the red numbers, telling you "girl 3 more hours till you gotta get your ace up for studies". This comfort is always there, but i think i just want a clock radio because it reminds me of a great time of life with a great soundtrack. Plus the music just sounds better coming from the wooden box (aka clock radio). I miss you late 80's and the love songs you gave me.

I have left a gift for all you love ballad junkies out there.

8 comments:

{Erica} said...

1.those songs totally date you :) (no worries I tease bret about his age as well)
2.I would have to concur on the clock radio...I have that set AND my cell phone. Many times my reliable trusty clock radio (that I've had since I was 8) goes off on time and my cell phone for whatever reason didn't...LAME!
3.I'm so digging that music video...reminds me of the station my dad listened to all the time in the car...:P

Jen said...

Jodi,

Maybe Paul, me and the kids could come see you soon. Are you in Moscow? I know Paul would love it and I have never been to Moscow. This month is slammed but we are free next month or maybe November.

Jen

arianne said...

Sometimes Dave and I sing along with Dolly and Kenny on "Islands in the Stream" while we slow-dance around the house. I thought you'd like that.

Jaime S. said...

i had an air supply summer once at the kerby's cabin. i'd just lay on my bed and listen to side 1 of the tape and then flip it over and listen to side 2. i'd even rewind some parts and listen again. nothing makes you crave a boyfriend more than airsupply when you are a teenager. ; )

Melissa said...

Ah yes the wonderful songs of the 80's.
Hope you find the right clock radio that can live up to all your dreams.

Jenny said...

My fav station when I'm in AZ is still K-light. I listen to it whenever I can. I draw the line at listening to Delila as I feel her advice is so lame and self serving. I use to think she knew what was up, but now I know better.

Have you considered the CD player alarm clock? That way you can set it to play your favorite Air Supply Song (in my case the Carpenters) when the alarm goes off.

P.S. I love, I mean L. O. V. E. the song "against all odds". It gets me ever time.

arizonamama said...

Speaking of music, have you ever thought about going on that new game show, "Don't forget the lyrics?" I saw it for the first time last night and totally thought of you. You're perfect and I bet you'd win a lot of money or at least be some eye candy for the viewers!

Steve and Lindsay said...

What's up JODY!!!! You crack me up...I could read your stuff all day. I have to admit I have burned myself cds of oldies that I listen to really loud in the car by myself. Ran into your Mom the other day and she said you were doing good. Keep in touch!! Lindsay Hale

Stats