Wednesday, May 7, 2008

Why is it so hard to find a roof to put over my head.

Honestly, i definitely should have brought the Element. Fairbanks is not the place to be without a car, i didn't know. Luckily i have been able to extend my hotel stay. Luckily my tax return has come back. Luckily i have made some very cool friends who have taken me under their wing. I miss my condo. Compared to the domains i have viewed here, Mesa "ghetto" is the best place ever. Let me tell you about the options.

1. The dry cabin. It is a clean, dry place to live. "Dry" meaning, no indoor plumbing (aka no showers, no toilets, no sinks with water). They are outside the city limits, and usually have a shared outhouse with someone who has a dog, and the dog poops everywhere around the outhouse. Basically this option looks good for a few reasons. They are cheap, one could get a gym membership and shower that way, and riding my bike 8 miles each way to the cabin, will help make my hot body dreams come true.

2. "Lisa's house". I wish I had taken pictures seriously. The outside was a junkyard. It was like a communal house and junk grave yard, where one would never want to live. I thought maybe the outside is just a front and inside it won't be so bad. I was wrong. Picture this, the fridge and stove is in this sort of storage area, which is storing heating pumps and systems, wires, tubings, old carpet scraps, etc. The bathroom has a sort of topaz colored tub (think 1968) which for some reasons (i do not know) had a bunch of duct tape around the tub and on the side of it. Now i have delt with bathroom duct tape before. When I moved into my condo, the renters before had cracked the fiber glass shower, and had duct taped it. I distinctly remember being grossed out then. Honestly no duct tape in the bathing vacinity, seriously. The bedroom had purple carpet, a nasty mattress, lots of wood paneling around the room, and a "mi casa es mi casa" craft. All in all it just didn't feel right. Why I would almost consider living here, it is close to work.

3. The College Inn. This seemed like a viable option until I saw the College Inn. From the outside it looked like the biggest hole i have ever seen. Now does everyone realized that I have lived in a cement one bedroom El Salvador Ghetto apartment...do you get that. I think I am not that hard to scare or in this case gross out. This is not New York City People. Why is the nastiest place i have ever seen in my life (maybe tied with Lisa's place) costing 650 a month. The room was probably 10 by 7 if that. It had a bed and a closet. The shower and pot was to be shared with everyone on your floor. This is sickening. Also it smelled like smoke and piss and death. Please.

4. The only place I loved is a short 1.2 miles from work. It was clean, cheap at 475 and smelled like a normal place. She said she is going to wait till Friday to make a decision, until then there will be a lot of wishin, hopin, thinking and planning that the place will be mine. Good luck to the Mesa girl in Alaska. Shoot.

5 comments:

M said...

Jodi, I think you realize that Mesa is the place!

{Erica} said...

K so wait...why are you in Alaska? I would be living it up before law school...

sumo said...

My vote is for #1

The dry cabin sounds like a blast! You'll realize that you never needed running water. Plus, a shower is just a quick pedal away.

BONUS:

You get to ride your bike to work, church, etc... everyday! Luckily you got practice riding a bike while teaching. You'll love it!

Let me know which one pans out. Our fingers are crossed for numero uno!

Casey and Whitney MCkell said...

yOU CAN COME TO UTAH AND LIVE WITH ME!!!!

Mary Postert said...

They're all sounding pretty bad. Just stay in the hotel all summer and deplete your savings.

Stats