Friday, May 23, 2008

Cookies, the Alaskan Pipeline and dreams of SNL.

Sell out with me tonight, sell out with me oh yeah. i sort of feel like a sellout. I have to be cheesy and smilee and friendly all the time. In addition to all this madness I need to be funny on cue. Wait it's like i was in high School student council, I truly have returned to my roots. I sort of like being a tour guide/driver. I get lost once in a while, I forget to 'kneel' the coach which means lower it, and have old ladies and men straining their old knees, but other than that...smooth sailing. The hardest part of the job is that the hours are so long and funny. I have to be up at the bus barn at 4:45 am for pre-tripping the coach so that I can pick up rail crew at 6 am. They have Seth and Shelly doing a 2:30 am Airport run. I just don't know how they get all of us to buy into this...oh wait I remembered. We are poor, in credit card debt (it takes most people about 3-5 thousand just to relocate here) and have absolutely nothing better to do with our time than drive a big bus around Fairbanks.

Here are my favorite parts of the job. First the cookies you get at the gold mine gift shop. They are free, plentiful and tasty. I usually eat 2 peanut butter, and two macadamian/white chocolate chip (think Costco cookies only better). Doing the pipeline stop and having everyone gather around me like I am an expert... they are more attentive than Jr. High kids, or maybe the better at faking it, either way i got facts to share. The third thing I love, is making the guests laugh. They are sometimes a hard crowd, but I have 30 years of being the class clown/awkward testimony baring/say anything to get a laugh girl, so all in all my groups have a great time and I am just getting started.

I have about 82 days left, and have decided to stick it out. Obviously things change, but so far so good. I have found a Sam's Club so can now eat my apples and bananas(and not break the bank). The almost constant daylight is giving me a tan, but makes me slather myself in sunblock daily. I am getting tipped pretty well for the last 5 days I have been driving (the only 5 I wasn't trainig) I made 8, 13, 129, 30 and 118 dollars. So all in all not too shabby but a little random. I don't think this job is going to put a dent in my law school tuition, but every little bit helps.

3 comments:

Jamie said...

Free cookies!!!...You just can't beat that!

Jaime S. said...

thanks for sharing. i'm always glad to be in the know about driving buses in alaska

Team Caldwell said...

the girls and i are making paper chains. send me your addy and we'll make you one too!

Stats