Tuesday, March 31, 2009

Pappoosas.

I know you are all psyced...more pictures of me eating. but this post has a purpose and i promise, i am keeping all my clothes on for the next couple of months. When I got my call to El Salvador, everyone told me I was going to love the papoosas. What are those I asked, and you might be asking too. Well they are masa (dough) with meat or cheese or beans in them (and sometimes a mix of 2 or all together) and you eat them with cabbage and red sauce. Anyways they are wonderful and I haven't had them in about 8 years (we went to El Salvador restaurants right after the mission but it has been awhile). The thing is papoosas are supposed to be eaten with cortito, which is fermented cabbage and ongins on top...And my parents, being my parents decided to take topping the papoosa to a whole new level.

My mom decided the papoosa should not only have cabbage, but also cottage cheese...GROSS, El Salvador is shaking its head at you...
My Dad decided to forgo the cabbage all together and just top the bean and cheese pappoossa with peanut butter and Jelly....this is such a typical thing for him to do, it just made me laugh. But once again, El Salvador is hanging its head in shame.
That is the right way to do it. The only way, although I would also add the red sauce and honey to it. Red sauce was accpetable, but i don't know if honey crossed the lines of normalcy. I would eat pappoossas at least once a day, but sometimes for all 3 meals. When i was there they cost anywhere from 12 to 25 cents each. Lovely.

Here they are, the best, creative, fun, and lively parents in the world. I love them and I am so grateful my mom had pappoosas for me, when I got home for Spring Break.

1 comment:

Rita said...

Where was I when the pappoosas extravaganza went down? This post made me laugh because it is just so them and you captured it!

Stats