Tuesday, October 23, 2007

5ks, Volcom and relating to my students.

IT happend again. The warehouse sale. When Industrial opens it's doors and lowers it's prices and all the skaters at heart, (or us, who want to dress like them) come out of the woodwork. I had just finished my 5k, i had a very poor showing at 26 minutes. Made even more pathetic by my friend Brendan's 2nd place overall finish. We used to run in HS togeather. I was always amazing super fast, he was always just on the cuff between Varsity and JV. Oh how the tables have turned. Now, I am trying to get it back and hopefully with a new speedy training partner all my running dreams will come true. So that was the 5k.

So i pulled up to the warehouse and got in line. A super long line. I immediately made friends with a rather attractive man and his snaggled tooth friend. Anyways, that made the wait a bit more bareable. However, the real kick was when the Armainian woman infront of us would yell things out to the people cutting like, "Hey what are you doing, we have been waiting and you just cut" or "are you crazy, who do you think you are?" Anyways, the wait was long and tedious. They let 200 people into the warehouse and then we would have to wait untill people came out. Then Sumo and Mitch came, and thank goodness we were behind the Armanian lady. She kept yelling at everyone who would cut, she was relentless. Then someting incredible happend. 9 of her son's friends came and got in line with her. And wouldn't you know, not a peep. The snaggle tooth friend said, "what do you say now, where is your no cut comment now". We laughed, human behavior at it's finest. Finally Van (my brother) and his 2 friends showed up. Everyone was cutting. But if I hadn't been there, then they would have been waiting for hours.

All in all, we were victorious. I helped out everyone to get in early, to get the deals. I scored on some sweet Volcom outfits. I don't care about the name brand (well sort of). Yet, my students are all taken back to see their teacher rocking the Volcom. I think it's funny when they ask, "Miss Goodman, does that say Volcom, (long pause)....sweet".

No comments:

Stats