Wednesday, September 30, 2009

Dave Mathews

the ticket and the rain outside the window
view of the Gorge and all the concert goers
this is a picture of me trying to make it happne with the Oregon boys (twins) when i say, "make it happen" i mean talk to them so i don't have to talk to the knitter or think about my lonliness while Dave sings "crash into me". One of the Oregon boys (not the twins) was very drunk and very crude. I kept having to say, "i am a classy lady" to remind him to keep his desires to himself
this is the gang i went with
the concert lights, lighting up the Washington sky






So this concert was a few weeks ago. But I will go through the complete narative.

Adam asked me if I wanted to go to Dave Mathews Band at the Gorge, which is a venue in Eastern Washington that is supposed to be super awesome, and for some reason, it got put on my list of things to do while i am in the inland northwest, "87. go see a concert at the Gorge". So of course, I said "Yes".

He had three extra tickets, and I was under the impression that the other two tickets would be given/purchased by someone in the law school pool. By mid summer, i knew I wanted my man to come with me, but because he would be living 8 hours away from Moscow, it would not be clear if he would be able to come. So I told Adam to make sure to save one of the tickets for me just in case, and if he couldn't come, then we would find someone else, Adam agreed.

Flash forward to the week school started. I called Adam to see if there was an extra ticket. He said, "no", he had given them to his neighbors. I had to call and tell my "friend" that there wasnt' a ticket. He broke up with me 4 days later (I don't blame the lack of ticket on the ending of our love, but...I do think Dave Mathews is pretty romantic, and it might of caused a change of heart, if he could have been there.

So I didn't want to go. I hate, hate, hate being the third wheel, or worse being the 5th wheel, when my heart is healing due to an recently ended relationship (Family think Disney Land after Aaron, Friends think Rocky Point after Cardon...nothing is more pathetic than trying to eat fish tacos at Flavio's with tears running down your sunburned cheeks or standing in the line for "Splash Mountain", sobbing on your brother's shoulder uncontrollably).

But Adam kept calling and inviting. It was Labor Day Weekend, and I thought maybe a little music would be nice. So off we went. In a tiny Tercel. While some girl in Adam's Ward who instantly annoyed me, was trying to knit. We were in a moving vehicle and I have this fear of being impailed and there she was knitting and singing to herself with the biggest knitting needle. All the while the weather is getting worse. It became clear going to an outdoor concert in the middle of a storm was the not the best idea.

So we got to the little town called George, just outside of the Gorge. We were starving. However, the Subway (the only restaurant) was closed. They were out of bread. So we ate gas station chicken strips and peanut M&M's. We drove to the Gorge, and wouldn't you know it, it started to rain. And rain hard. We sat in that Tercel for 2 hours. The longest 2 hours of my life. The knitting continued. Only now the car got humid and the windows fogged up. It was AGONY. I started to get so angry/claustrophobic. Thoughts ran through my mind..."why am i here with people I don't know/don't like", "why does that girl have to knit", "why didn't i learn my lesson after Disneyland and Rocky Pointe not to travel with heart wounds" etc. Thus, I was in the depths of feeling sorry for myself.

But then, I decided that I would have a positive attitude. And then the rain subsided. And then we found the perfect place to listen to the concert, and then the opening band was a amazing, and then I made friends with some funny drunk guys from Oregon, and then Dave came on, and then it was awesome.

I have seen the Dave Mathews Band play in Phoenix. Ryan from the kayak club invited me, and we had 5th row seats which were amazing. These seats on the grass, on the slope of the mountain were not that great. But the music was good. The company was good(besides the knitter, and we didn't really speak or sit by each other). And all in all, I was glad I went (sort of).

Bonus, the girl didn't knit, or if she did I didn't know because I slept the whole way home.

4 comments:

Nancy Pitney said...

That's hilarious. Keep the stories coming. This is the part of law school I'm interested to know about! (Sorry about your recent break up--it sounds like you've had your fair share, It'll happen someday, right?)

Jaime S. said...

i enjoyed the honesty in this post. good times

arianne said...

Jodi, I think this story is very funny and somewhat reminiscent of that one time you and I drove to LA. Except for I was the girl who was driving you crazy, and you me. I saw Radiohead at the Gorge back in 2001 I think. It is a beautiful place and the only time I've visited Washington. I'm glad you got to check #87 off your list. That always feels so good.

Starr Phippen said...

So, are you saying you want me to send you some knitting needles and yarn for a belated birthday gift? I totally caught your hints.

Stats