Thursday, September 24, 2009

What I wish I would have done differently.




You know how people say, "I wouldn't change a thing, because then I wouldn't be where I am!!!!"....

I am not one of those people.

Today, my friend Josh got a new haircut. There a bit of debate, on whether this was a buzz or a flat top or "stepping it down a level" (whatever that means). After saying it was a buzz, but then recanting and saying "it's a flat top" probably 5x too many so that Josh was mad i kept saying it. One of our friends asked me, "Jodi, have you ever wanted to shave your head?" The answer of course is absolutely. I have wanted to shave my head for years. But I kept hearing the same thing from family and friends, plus there was always this fear/belief, that if I did shave my head to a Sinead O'Connor bic-ness, the man I was meant to marry would show up and not be into the shaved hair goddess that I was. So I kept my hair a respectable length...Although I did color it every color of the rainbow, had baby bangs when my hair was blue black, got "black girl braids" in along with beads and shells woven into the synthetic hair. So I guess in those respects I have no regrets, and who knows maybe "the man that was supposed to be my husband didn't like baby bangs, or bright red highlights, but thats neither here nor there.

Point is. I really wish I could have shaved my head, it is a true sign of either not caring what people think, or dying for attention a person will do anything (i could never settle on which of these two reasons were mine). I probably would have shaved it when my mom went through Chemo, but I was a sister Missionary at the time in El Salvador and I have feeling the white handbook said something about "no extreme hair cuts." And now that my dad is losing his hair, I guess i could use that as an excuse, but I got interviews at law firms, I think they wouldn't be into a shaved head, much like the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints isn't into it.



IN one of my favorite Ricks College Movies (movie's i watched during Rick's College) Empire Records, there is a line I will never forget, "I do not regret the things I have done but those I did not do". I completely agree with this...

6 comments:

Rita said...

I seriously thought I was going to see a picture of you with a shaved head as I scrolled down. I loved that Marc from Empire Records... interesting. I am glad you didn't shave your head. Following comments might say you should do what you want but I say don't shave that head Jodi. "I like you just as you are." Name that movie.

Nancy Pitney said...

You know, you could shave your head and then wear a wig to those interviews! I applaud you for even considering it--something I would never do. As frustrating as hair can be, I prefer it to being bald. (And I know what I'd look like because I wear a swim cap all the time--it's not pretty). Love your pic with the sandwich!

Goodman Family said...

JODI JODI JODI, If you want to shave it, SHAVE IT! Its your hair. and your life. I was with Rita, I thought I would scroll down and see you with a shaved head. As for the husband thing. Jimmy loves brown haired girls and he merried a blond. So if he love you he will merry you no matter what. You can always were a wig and have all kinds of hair styles.Love Ya!!!

Mandy said...

I vote NO - don't shave your head - you have a wonderful head of beautiful hair so make the most of it! Happy birthday tomorrow!

btw,
this is Marie, not Mandy

Debbie said...

Hey, it's your birthday!!! Enjoy reflecting on all of the wonderful years that you have had and the many more yet to come. (and although I think we should all follow our dreams, I'm not so sure I would shave your hair...you do too many other creative and interesting things with it!!) XOXOXO Have a GREAT day!!

Kelli Brown said...

Jodi - Happy Birthday yesterday! Sorry I missed sending you the love on the real day. Call me slacker. Hope you are doing good.

Stats