Tuesday, July 29, 2008

The life of a driver Part 2

Falling in love on the job.

did you know that 27 percent of the loves of my life were all bus drivers. Does that mean that 27 percent of the men i am attracted to have CDLs or is it that i fell in love with these men because we were in the same place at the same time? Or is it that I love a man in uniform.

This will be more of a reflective piece about the good times i have had as a bus driver. In fact let's go back to the beginning. I became a driver in order to chase loves. My best friend Shawn was a driver for Mesa Public Schools, and wanted me to meet a fellow co-worker named Louie. He said, the best way for that to happen is for me to get a job as a driver. It sounded good to me, so down I went to Broadway and Center Street to sign my self up to drive.

I became a driver, and met Louie, but loves did not happen. However later i fell in love with a driver named Reggie, traveled to Europe with Jeff, met the mechanics son Rusty rekindled a high school friendship with Reid and turned it into love, had 4 non-recipricated crushes and basically flirted with some football/soccer/band/orchestra/academic decathalon coaches (hey i drove for 3 and a half years).

Now, there is something about the stresses and joys of being a bus driver... that makes one want to fall in love. Now I am not the only one. My best friend Jamie had similar luck at love during her bus driver days. There is a certain closeness and respect that develops between all drivers. Sometimes that respect blossoms into a crush. To all the other peeps, who know that I speak the truth... just smile in your heart.

5 comments:

Kari said...

Hey Jodi, how are you? I love your picture driving the bus! How's AK? Justin's headed up there in a few weeks. Drop me a comment sometime, i'd love to catch up!

Kari said...

Sorry, this is Kari (Smith) Cook by the way!

Mary Postert said...

How is Reggie? Do you ever talk to him anymore? Is he married?

Jaime S. said...

oh bus barn love. i didn't have much of it, but you sure did ; )

{Erica} said...

wait...so did you fall in love in alaska? What??!! details por favor!

Stats