Tuesday, February 26, 2008

A DEDICATION

Grandma broke her hip. She fell down like old ladies do. Grandpa is so worried. He wants to drive to the hospital always, but he is too old. Mom hates to see her mother in pain. She hates to see how unsanitary, unclean, smelling of urine the rehab centers are. Grandma got some infection in her heel and ankle. The care takers at the expensive center didn't see that it was infected and getting worse. They didn't realize all the pain my sweet, fragile grandma is in. Mom and her sisters are so angry. Grandma's pain medicine isn't effective. No one wants to help. Nurse says take a Tylenol or 2. BLAR. I don't visit for 2 weeks. I am busy and I don't like hospitals. Finally I go. Grandma calls me, "my jodi". So tender. Grandma keeps telling the same story about a blanket she got in the mail from a non-profit that was fundraising. They asked for a 10 dollar donation. Grandma only sent 5 dollars back. Grandma tells everyone the story and how she wishes she would have sent 10 dollars now. Hmmm. My mom has heard the story too many times. I tell my grandma funny stories about my social life. Somehow I decided to tell her the interesting, good stuff. She laughs. I didn't think her sense of humor was so keen.

Grandpa comes over for family time on Sunday morning. When it is time for comments, he shares too much and takes too much time. I am restless. I want to watch the Law and Order SVU marathon, not listen to Grandpa try to teach us "long winded" gospel principles. Mom tells me later she took Grandpa to the market. A cashier asks Grandpa, "wheres' Jane". Grandpa begins to speak, Mom is surprised, 3 other ladies gather around, very concerned, sincerely concerned. Who knew people cared about her parents so much?

I suppose a blog about grandparents isn't the most exciting of all topics. Sometimes, well most of the time I feel selfish; visiting them isn't my favorite activity of all time. but here are some funny moments....

1. This thanksgiving grandpa said, "jodi, are you really gonna eat all that food, that is the most food, I've ever seen on anyone's plate.

2. My other grandpa says, "I pray for all my grandkids sometimes, but i pray for you everyday that you will find a husband".

3. Grandpa Goody tells me when I am getting fat, and when I am looking good. I am happy to say, lately I have been looking good.

4. I asked if I should be a Doctor or Lawyer, Grandpa said, "a teacher"... this was 4 months ago. He loved being a teacher.

5. A few Christmas' ago, all the married couples got as a gift a card table and 4 chairs. All the singles got a one dollar coin. I was 28 and I got a one dollar coin.

5 comments:

Mary Postert said...

I think I'd take the one dollar coin over the crocheted hanger that I got.

Jaime S. said...

you guys got a present from your grandparents??

Jenny said...

That is so sad about your Grandma. Hospitals are such gross places. You know me, I'm into crazy natural herbs and stuff and pretty much think the medical community in general is clueless. Case in point, they let your Grandma get an infection under their watch and probably pumped her full of antibiotics that killed off all the good bacteria that was staving off infections.

Sommer said...

Great post... you're lucky, I only have one grandma left. Haven't had any other grandparent for over 10 years.

the Pearce Place said...

SO, i've been hearing all about the events in Grandma Vanepps life, but I didn't realize all the sisters were so angry about it... Iguess it's more serious than I realized.
I love the funny grandparent moments idea, I should do something like that.
So, my new thing, I think you'd like it- I've joined goodreads.com
I'd invite you to join it but i don't know your email address. It's so fun, you just post all the books you've read/ are reading and check out what everyone else is reading- get tons of great book ideas...
you should do it!

Stats