Sunday, February 17, 2008

What if no one wants my basket... a metaphor.


today in church the activity chairperson was going on and on at the mike. i can't be a hater, you see i used to be the gal who went on and on at the mike (years of stuco and being the class, ward, mission, mesa clown gave me o-so-too-much validation for spouting off at the mouth on the mike). so the ramblings were all about the next activity, a new alternative to speed dating. guess what it is called basket-case (yep, sign me up). i make a basket with a fun meal and entertainment or theme, and i guess some guys are supposed to bid on them, with fake monies, monopoly monies or something. after the mini date it is time for a dance where you can boogie with the man who got your basket or ditch him to find someone new. as the girl is sharing the details it begins to get a little strange because they actually opened up the floor for questions. people were curious if they could bid on more than one basket (no), if they can come later just for the dance (yes), if they can bring someone else who isn't in the ward to the activity (yes), and now my favorite of all questions.... "what if no one wants my basket?" I turned to Monique and said, "yeah it sucks when all the other baskets are sought after, and my basket is way better than some, and just as good as other baskets but it is just chilling there, all by itself, no one even playin like they might pick my basket. I mean I try to make my basket cute and clean and smell good. I try to make the outside of the basket pleasing to behold. I put a little color on the basket, and touch up the old crackily spots. Also, I try to make the contents of my basket of the best quality and fun to partake of, yet the question still looms, "what if no one wants my basket?"

No comments:

Stats