Friday, February 1, 2008

Am i to blame? and LONG DISTANCE LOVERS

I was doing alright.... i just started using my laptop for the music at the weddings I dj. I had the first dance done, and now it was time to transition into the Father/Daughter, Mother/Son dance. There is was Michael Bubbles' (whatever) "Save the Last Dance for Me". I started it. Father of the bride, didn't like it. They asked me to play something else. You see, when you have all those Fathers and brides and Sons and Mothers up there, with a semi circle surrounding them, and everyone is just waiting for you to play something...what comes to mind. Well in those few seconds that felt like hours, I simply reverted back to the last wedding I did. The song that we played for the Father/Daughter dance was The Beach Boys "Surfer Girl". Yep, did it. Not a surfer in sight. Thats how it goes Peoples when you pick one song in the "pre-celebration meet your dj and request a bunch of music interview", and then in the middle of the moment when I am playing the song, papa says, "I don't like this one". BLAR.


I promise I will not pull a JODI 07 and pack up and move to Reno again, Promise. I have learned a heck of alot. Yet, my theory of, "at the end of my mission I was finally ready, prepared, dedicated enough to be an amazing missionary theory" seems to not really be applying to any of my current situations (aka there is no one I want to move away to start time and all eternity with, so even though my relationship wisdom runneth over, got no one to practice on. Yep). But, I did get an opportunity to share a little advice with the young and risky. A friend of mine, met a man at a wedding, spent a few choice hours with him (no making out transpired) and then proceeded with a long distance whirl wind romance. Point is he is here for a little visit, she's just not that into it". Hmmm, you gotta love falling in love over the phone, it is all too tempting. It gives quite the arena to tell people exactly what they want to hear, with little or no "calling each others bluff". Plus going back to Jamie Caldwell's theory "Filling in the Gaps", when the full picture isn't clearly in front of us, we idealists like to imagine all the positive, suited for us, never going to annoy or embarrass us qualities our new found joy possesses. And then it happens. All the hypotheticals, all the saying I love you before you normally would, if you had to see the persons face, all the "what are you looking for in a mate", and "if this works out..." conversations are just sort of silly and bizarre after the fact. I think the lesson to be learned, when it comes to long distance dating could best be summed up by the words of MIKA ( my favorite European Singer) enjoy.

No comments:

Stats