Saturday, June 13, 2009

Bugged by blog stalking.

this morning i went around looking at all the girls i went to highschool with blogs. You know the drill. You pick someone sort of popular who has a ton of people on their blog role. Then you just click on each "couple" (because lets be honest 99 percent of bloggers are woman in marriages with kids) and see who shows up.

I get bugged by one thing during this process. I am not talking about the whole everyone looks super happy and in love, and i'm not...blar blar. I don't want to talk about that today. What bugs me is when there is a cute couple named, like Liz and Rob. I have known 5 Roberts, 8 Bobs,7 Robs. And I have known 6 Elizabeths, 9 Lizs and 1 Lizzie. Especially if the last name isn't there, or even if it is, and I might know this Liz person... But then how will I know, she took her husbands name I don't know who she married, or if i did, i might have forgotten. So here I am with a hunch I might know "Rob and Liz". How will I find out. A picture of course. There is an expectation that a clear picture of the blog author and her husband ( i know i am generalizing here) right at the top of the blog will be available. You see when i am stalking, i don't want to have to scroll down through kid pic after kid pic if i don't know who you are. It's annoying. Either chose to be a private blog, a bold statement saying "yeah I don't want blog stalkers". Or put your picture right at the top. I don't care if your fat now...even better to see a little realism. I don't care that your husband is ugly...even better make me feel like i am glad I am not in your shoes. I dont' care that you got gray hair, or not cute clothes, or not a professional picture... just put your mug on the top of that blog. And let the process of blog stalking continue in a steady flow. A few times I have scrolled through over 8 pages of blog searching, hoping to find an image of who the author of the blog is, but alas...all i get is little kid after little kid (news flash, i sort of don't care about the kid, unless i love the parent, is that so wrong??) that just wasted my time.

Thanks....now fix it.

6 comments:

Rita said...

Thanks for your honesty as always Jodi. If I was not private i would heed your advice. I know all you really care about on my blog are pictures of Olivia so I will keep posting them for you!

{Erica} said...

I don't cater my blog to "Stalkers" :) I understand (slightly) your annoyance with the blogs of people you might know (or might not) but again I'm pretty sure those people don't have "Make sure my blog is good for those strangers clicking through to see if they know me" at the top of their priority list.

p.s. also...pretty sure regardless of what it looks like a the blog everyone isn't always happy and in bliss. We know this though right? But who really wants to put out there for all to see the lame fight you had with your spouse that ironically both you and your spouse have forgotten about but the internet will forever remind you about?

I'm just saying...

Nancy Pitney said...

I love your ranting! I totally understand the difficulty with names. I had someone post a comment as "Rachel" with no picture or link or anything. Even though my blog is private, I still have 3 Rachels following it. How am I supposed to know which one left the comment? I think what you're saying here is lets be clear about who we are, right? :-)

Mary Postert said...

I totally agree with you.

Jaime S. said...

so did you know them?

arizonamama said...

I don't blog for B.S. (block stalkers).

Stats