Wednesday, January 6, 2010

Poncho Loves.





My mom is basically my fashion Icon. She is classy, simple, natural and does it all with bargains she scores at Ross. Beyond how she is now...she once was even more stylie. She used to wear POnchos. I tried to rock the pOncho in 9th grade. I distinctly remember a cold November night when i decided it was appropriate to wear one of my mothers "college" ponchos around the neighborhood. The boys were playing basketball at the Hunt's (a house 2 doors down). I vividly remember Scott Arnett (my crush from7th-9th grade) mocking my poncho. I remember the other girls rolling their eyes at my poncho. I thought the boys would appreciate my poncho, I thought they would find me earthy and natural...2 qualities I had admired in my mother.

Here I am, almost 20 years later. I brought up the ponchos to my mom, she said she knew exactly where they were. I went down stairs and found them. I put the ponchos on. I admired myself in the mirror. I noted how Earthy I looked. I noted how Natural I felt and looked in the poncho. The black poncho made me feel a like a hippie with class. The white and gray made me feel like a mountain goat shepheard.

"I am definitely rocking these ponchos in Moscow" i thought to myself. A few hours later i was attending the annual post Christmas gift exchange with the married girls of Lehi 4th Ward. We were chatting, and I decided to bounce the idea of poncho wearing off the girls. I wish I could say the consensus was mixed. However, every girl gave a thumbs down on the ponchos. One girl even said Tie Dye is better then poncho wearing. One girl (with intensity) said, "you don't want to be known as the girl who wears ponchos". All the girls thought that poncho wearing would impede my ultimate goal of getting married, and my intermediate goals of dressing cuter and dating attractive younger men. It was quite revealing how many of them were anti poncho. However, now that you have seen the pictures of me, rocking the ponchos...what do you think. Is there anytime, place, event that these ponchos might be the perfect attire??

12 comments:

Diane... said...

not earthy and natural...WORLDLY!!

It's a different era !

Jaime S. said...

i think you look dang cute in the pancho but they are for sure not going to attract the men. Men like trendy. They want to be proud to show their girl off to their friends. it's all too bad, but tight jeans, trendy shoes, long hair, always well kept is what wins the man. i guess there is a price for everything.

p.s. i had short hair when i met brad. it was a miracle it still happened. guys can be lame. they are all secretly looking for that trophy wife....

invite Allyson at allysonwalkenhorst@hotmail.com

Anonymous said...

Panchos might go over well up here in Moscow... People are earthy and natural up here...

Melissa said...

I think it looks awesome.
But I'm no fashion guru.

Rita said...

I say no all the way around on the poncho. No good can come from wearing that out. Thanks for the fashion show though.

Kelli Brown said...

Rita's comment cracks me up. I could see the black poncho as an accessory with tight awesome jeans, either black high heels or black heel boots, great hair and a terrific purse. But definitely no on the shepherd one. I'd have to agree with Rita there...no good could come from that.

BTW - your new pic on your blog header is gorgeous! I love love love the super straight dark hair. Very sheek and classy!

Jaime S. said...

i love the straight dark hair too.

Goodman Family said...

ha ha ha. Ponchos remind me of the move Devil Wears Prada, when he tries to dress her and he was saying she was big. He will see what he can find. And then he pulls out a Poncho for her... lol Love them jodi you should were it proud

tpearce55 said...

i think the black is actually pretty cute. i say rock it out with the girls, but i do agree that it may not help in the male department. i know earthy guys are out there, but they are few and far between.

Jill said...

My husband says that the poncho might be appropriate if you were already in a relationship with a 22 year old cowboy that needed you to help him round up his cattle during a strong rainstorm on his ranch in Wyoming. He says all other scenarios are unacceptable. :)

I gotta hand it to Kelly Brown though, if you had a great pair of jeans and a great pair of boots, that black poncho might not be so bad. But you'd have to be having the best hair day of your life! And no cold sores. :)

Jodiane said...

Best comment ever Jill. Much love.

Starr Phippen said...

You rocked the poncho a time or two at Ricks. I think that's why the "Don't Go Chasing Waterfalls" cowboys decided to pick us up that wintery night. The poncho was what lured them in. JUST ONE KISS...

Stats