Wednesday, August 5, 2009

School Starts Today...




For my 30th Birthday my students through me a birthday party...it was a surprise. it was the nicest thing Jr. High Kids had ever done. But the good days were outnumbered by the Jr. High Maddness.


What if? What if I had been totally satisfied with being a teacher. What if Gateway Elementary (K-8) had been a great fit, and i loved it there, and i had moved out to Higley to be closer to my school, etc. etc.

Well life sends you in different directions than you originally set out in. I thought I would get a job at Mesa Public Schools as a Highschool English Teacher, CC and Track Coach and maybe have my Wedding DJ Business up and running for Friday and Saturday Nights. That sure sounds like a good plan looking back.

But....I got stuck at the Jr. High, the coaching jobs were always occupied and the Dj ing, well yeah that was good, but not as steady as i would have liked. Also I never felt that satisfaction i thought i would as an 8th grade English teacher.

My good friend Jen is now the counselor at Gateway. Today is her first day back. I remember feeling that nervousness of the new school year and hoping i liked my students, the parents were supportive and it would be a great year. Now I have the same nervousness with a new school year, but i am the student. Will I do well in the classes, find the teachers interesting, etc. etc.

Honestly, as I think back I guess I could have stuck out teaching, and all is not lost, i still have a teaching certificate, and if i can't find a law job i am sure i will go back to teaching... but I am happy where i am at. And I suppose getting stuck in the jr. high was a good thing, it sent me in a completely different direction. I can't wait to get back in school, hopfully find a law job in town and learn the law.

1 comment:

Rita said...

That is nice that your students threw you a party! You can do so many things Jodi, law school is a great direction ad your doing well at it. You could always fall back on your first job of serving mister mistys at the DQ.

Stats