Sunday, August 9, 2009

HOT IN THE CITY.

The recent Runners World(my favorite runners magazine) has a whole section of articles of running in the heat. With all sorts of tips like, "run in the middle of the day" and "bring water with you", or "alternate running and walking". First of all for those people not in AZ, it's hot here. But just like Northern Idaho in the winter time, you just deal with it by staying in doors almost all of the time. But some of us are not satisfied with spending all our times in doors, we must be free to run. So here is my take on 3 of the Runner's World, "running in heat(no pun intended)" tips.

Most of my daily runs start at about 7 thirty. I set my alarm for 5, then when it beeps i decide i will just turn off the alarm and rest my eyes a little longer. That little longer turns into over 2 hours. It doesn't matter how many pep talks i have given myself the night before about getting up at 5 and then maybe having a nap later in the day. I know that i will run better, faster, farther at 5, instead of 7:30, I know I will not have to put on gobs of sunscreen, but my 5 am brain refuses to be logical.

I carried water once on a run, and drank it all up the first 2 miles of 5 miles and then had water log cramps, so i am sort of gun shy about the water.

The whole idea of walk/running sort of just happens naturally. You run till you want to walk, then you walk until you realize that it's just getting exponentially hotter so you better get moving...so you run, until you want to walk...and the process repeats itself.

So thanks Runners World for the tips. But i sort of think someone has to be an idiot if they didn't think of those tips themselves. Just saying.

3 comments:

Nancy Pitney said...

I think anyone willing to run in the AZ heat (no matter what time of day) is just crazy. I think I'm going to train for the Turkey Trot this year and I'm not going to start untll maybe mid October when it's bearable. More power to ya! Hey, and if you're still in AZ, how come you haven't called me?! :-)

Marie Nelson said...

Jodi, I just love you!

Diane... said...

Jodi...you are the EXPERT RUNNER, heat or otherwise with all of your experience...#1 girl runner through the years in cross country, track, 5,10 etc. K's,turkey trots, Grand Canyons rim to rims and rim to rim to rims, and just your daily runs..........you should be the main writer at Runners World!!

Stats