Wednesday, April 28, 2010

The Fade.

yes, it has happened again. The "Fade".

you start going out with someone, it seems great, but then after a little bit of time, in my case 3 weeks, they start texting less, calling less, and all in all wanting to hang out less. I laugh because i am actually too busy to spend much time thinking and fixating and obsessing about it. And we both knew it wouldn't last since I am leaving in 2 weeks. But I always have to laugh at the fade. I don't think anyone knows how to say, "yeah, I'm done Peace out". I can't decide if it's because we as daters are spineless, or we just aren't too sure if we are done with the person, and the "fade" buys us some time and maybe even the option to reconsider later. For whatever reason, if I ever do get married, I am going to miss the stealthy, we-both-know-whats-going-on-but-aren't-going-to-acknowledge-that-we-know-it "fade out".

Don't ask me about the boy, it was very casual, he is 27 and loves motorcycles, and it was as always a great ego boost to get some attention from the younger man (not much has changed in all these years).

But all you readers out there, humor me and post in the comments either 1. your most hilarious/painful fade out (where you got dumped) or 2. the agony/awkwardness/relief of being the fader (dumping someone). I am just curious about everyone's experiences or memories with the "FADE".

11 comments:

Sommer said...

Ok here are two for ya...
After 3 months of dating, he stopped calling out of the blue. A week later he called to tell me he was engaged?!
After two months of dating, seeing each other every day he didn't call or return my call. Two days later I went over to his house to see what happened. He said he got a blessing from his dad and that his dad didn't mention my name in the blessing so it was over!

Melissa said...

LOL I love Sommers ones.
I can't think of any at the moment, probably cause I"m laughing at Sommer.
What a trooper!!

Jodiane said...

Yeah, Summer is a trooper. I wish she would tell me who the men were, i probably don't know them. But still super funny.

Diane... said...

I had many many many in those, long ago, 28 years of "solitary" (I use that word rather than solitude b/c it appies to you Jodi...solitary is "a single gem, like a diamond, set alone BUT HANDLING IT BEAUTIFULLY...except for that last picture you posted YIKES)!!! but they have totally faded, become unimportant in the grand scheme of things...SHINE ON!!!

Jaime S. said...

i think sommer's first story was my brother. he has always been crazy at the dating thing.
well not anymore now that he's married.
that second story is crazy!

it was torment for me to be faded out when i liked the guy.

i hated fading other guys out too.

anyway fading is just a part of it all.

i can't remember who this happened to. but some dude once called a girl when she was on her honeymoon. he decided the fade was over and in the mean time she got married.

Diane... said...

I'm back...I just read this on a Chas Hathoway's post...he commented on one of mine and I followed through to find out who he was/is! He a musician and was referring to music but I think this appies to all fades "IF IT HAS NO MEANING IT.....WILL FADE WITH TIME" so better to get it over with !!!

I promise this is my last comment on this post ~

Nancy Pitney said...

I don't think I dated enough to even have a fade experience. Either that or I was too up front and had the "DOR" way too early which meant it was over before it had a chance to fade. I don't miss those days at all. Just so you know, when you meet "the one" I believe you will never have a fade experience with him (until after you're married, of course. Then it happens all the time, you just have to work at "rekindling"!) Thanks for sharing your solitaire experiences to help take me back!

Goodman Family said...

I love your pic of you and gibby. thanks for posting

Carrie said...

OMG, this is so awesome! Here's my best one: I was hanging out with a guy I thought was cool, went on 6 or 7 dates in the course of about a month or so. After one of these dates, he sends me an email telling me that he has never kissed a girl and he's sorry that he's taking it slow in that department (he's 28 at the time!). So, I take that as my cue to take initiative (because obviously this poor boy needs help!) and decide to hold his hand on our next date as we're taking an evening walk. Apparently that freaked him out too much because the fade started right after that, lasted for a couple of weeks, and then he treated me like an ex-gf for the rest of the semester. Luckily I wasn't heartbroken because obviously I was the normal one in that situation.

Melissa said...

Jodz have you seen this blog?
Crazy.
http://mormonbachelorpad.blogspot.com/

Unknown said...

I thought you were talking about the 90s hairstyle for men coming back! The fade is the coolest hairstyle EVER.

Are you heading to AZ for the summer? Packing up all of your boots until fall? What's the plan, Stan?

Stats