Thursday, April 22, 2010

Roomates.





I was living in downtown Mesa, in the historic district. My room was the basement. It was rad. I had a wood burning stove, that didn't actually work, but i decorated it with candles and plants. I had my home made hippie beads strung up in the doorway. I had a couch and my bed and a closet full of thrift store goodenss, it was the raddest room i had ever had, in the most perfect house. I would walk to the library, walk to Milanno's Music, ride my bike to Pete's Fish and Chips in other words, I was happy.

And then after 4 months of bliss it happened.

The normal roomates moved out, and the girl with all the unicorn/fantasy decorations moved in. There they were in the common area. A unicorn statute, multiple unicorn mirrors, a unicorn music box, some sort of magician poster, and many other decorations along these lines.

I was mortified, my perfect existence had turned into fantasy land. This women was in her mid-thirties. Here she was invading the common areas with all this maddness.

I immediately decided I would move out of this hell hole.

I like to think back on all the places I have lived, on all the people I have shared common areas with. As of late I have decided to be a lone wolf, and to live alone. I think I have earned it. I have learned what I needed to learn by sharing apartments, houses, etc. with the single Mormon Women of the West. I am done with the sharing.

I found a one-bedroom in Boise's Northend. So glad I won't be calling the institute, getting names of available housing, and going through the whole room mate thing again. I am a grownup. And I can't chance an infusion of unicorns...I just can't.

6 comments:

Starr Phippen said...

You forgot to mention the hoard of stuffed animals haunting the front room with all their beady eyes staring at you. Yikes!

Rita said...

Hilarious.

I remember that place but I don't think I ever saw the unicorns in action.

Yikes is right.

Nancy Pitney said...

You go girl!

Osita said...

I had a roomate who loved winnie the poo and even though she had a shelf butt she would still wear onsie footie pajamas like she was 2. A one piece flanel bodysuit is not flattering I tell you. I could hardly be in the same room as her, I can see not wanting to have roomates...

Karrie said...

What's wrong with unicorns? They're magical. Just kidding. Enjoy the new pad. I love your blog, you make me laugh every time I read it. Love ya.

Kelli Brown said...

Oh, Jodi...your blog always makes me laugh. Thanks for the uplift today.

Stats