Friday, September 28, 2007

Tonight.....anything can happen, yeah right!

Tonight, I will begin living my thirty something dreams. In other words, I am the mc at the Singles Ward Talent Show. Hot Dog! So far this is the best decade of my life. I think they picked me to MC for a number of reasons. First, I am funny, I don't care who you are. Also, I have my own DJ equipment and mike, that I am bringing. But, I think the clincher is that last ward activity, the Price is Right, the guy they picked to say the "come on downs" and explain the prizes, couldn't read that good (I know the differences between good readers and bad readers, I get paid to know as a Junior High Language Arts Educator). And the whole night lasted about 29 minutes longer than it should,because this kid was stuttering, and fumbling up the words and more or less, just pissing us all off. So they choose me, because I can read.

Now, on the way home from work today, I was speaking with my friend Mitch. We were remembering "back in the day",when our highschool weekend meant maybe, just maybe something cool would happen. It was like you would go to the football game, and then somehow get caught up with the wrong crowd, and spend a good half-hour in the SOMETHING BERTO's parking lot, waiting for someone to get off work, then you might take a detour to Mill Avenue, and end up in someone's basement you don't know, making out with a kid from Spanish Class who had a tattoo, or someone who had just graduated and was back from EA. Or a college weekend, where you might start out at the Sand Dunes on a weird group date, then run into some locals camping, go on a sand rail ride, kiss that fool, and somehow end up hitchhiking into Idaho Falls, because some obscure ska band is playing. All the while paying for it with your plasma donation money, cause that is all you got. The point is you started out with a plan of going one place and ended up somewhere totally random, totally different. And there was always this feeling like, "anything can happen". I really miss that feeling.

So back to tonight. I am going to the Ward Talent Show...and I suppose anything can happen in theory, yet it has been quite awhile since i have been surprised by where the weekend night took me. I will let you know if tonight brings surprises.

No comments:

Stats