Tuesday, October 12, 2010

I like it on the desk....

So if you don't have Facebook, you should. But that is not what this post is about.

What do we all think about the, "I like it on the _______". Meaning where you like to put your purse. This is what people have been posting on facebook to raise breast cancer awareness. What I think would be a better way is to list someone you loved that died from it, and someone you loved that beat it.

For me, my sweet Aunt Debbie died of breast cancer a little over 12 years ago. She is missed by many, especially her husband and 6 kids she left behind. Also my lovely mother Diane survived. I always felt a little guilty that my mom gets to be here, while my cousin's mom doesn't. I sure need to appreciate my mom more.

I was worried if breast cancer is a genetic disease. I found out in my intellectual property class (there was a case on breast cancer) that only 8 percent of cases are genetic.

when I was about 28 I asked my gyno about what i could do to reduce my chances of getting breast cancer myself. She said, "have a baby and breast feed before 30". So now I got the genetic possibility, I am deep, deep into my thirties and no baby in sight. I hope that I can be breast cancer and all cancer free... but it seems like it's a huge possibility.

I hope that we figure out what is causing this cancer. I hope we can all eat more raw food (because that I believe helps prevent cancer).

3 comments:

Rita said...

I never knew what that meant when everyone kept putting where they like it on Facebook, now I know. I like what you put better.

Mom and Aunt Debbie are always on my mind when I hear or see anything about breast cancer. Both amazing women.

Thanks for the post, you said the things I'd like to say, except for the raw food part. I'm not quite with you yet. Maybe someday.

Diane... said...

yeah...I DON'T LIKE THAT "I LIKE IT____" thing...I thought it was stupid even before I knew what it was meant to be about and I think it is a stupid way to raise awareness for breast cancer...more a way to spread sleeze!!!! WAY TO BUCK THE SYSTEM Jodi...I LOVE YOU!!!

Jamie said...

No need to feel guilty Jodi. I am so grateful that your mom is here today and is a breat cancer success story. I know my mom is where Heavenly Father needs her to be, and your mom is too. I feel my mom close by almost everyday. And I am grateful for the trial of having lost her in my life, it has made me a better person. Doesn't mean though that I don't miss her like crazy! :) Glad to hear that only 8% of cases are genetic. Let's hope neither of us falls into that category, but if we do we have some great examples of how to handle it, don't we! Hope things are going good for you and hope to see you at Thanksgiving.

Stats